It is said that Chugu-ji Temple once used to be an imperial palace where Prince Shotoku Taishi's mother lived. The temple has been a convent since its establishment. The temple is noted for its Nyoirin Kannon Goddess, a wooden Buddhist image of the 7th century, and Tenjukoku Shucho, an embroidered textile which describes the afterworld with Prince Shotoku Taishi. Both of them are designated as national treasures.
- 9:00 – 16:00 (October – March 20)
- 9:00 – 16:30 (March 21 – September)
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- 500 yen (General, Adult)
- 400 yen (Junior high student)
- 250 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- 4 minutes from JR Horyuji Station by NC Bus bound for Horyuji-monzen. Get off at Chuguji-mae Bus stop.
- 聖徳宗 中宮寺 公式ホームページ (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 1-1-2, Horyuji Kita, Ikaruga-cho Ikoma-gun, Nara, 636-0111
- Tkei-Messi @tkei_messi - 2016-07-17
- EJ Flores; @ejaaay_flores - 2015-05-29
- Tea Talk @TeaTalkBe - 2015-04-18