Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine was established in 905 to deify Michizane Sugawara, a great scholar of Chinese literature who demoted and transferred from Kyoto to Dazaifu then died here in 901, as the "guardian god of learning." And because of that, many students visit here to pray for their success on exams. The shrine is also a popular place for Hatsumode (New Year's visit), and over 2 million people visit here every year.
The grounds are planted with 6,000 Japanese plum trees which bloom from late January to March. Treasure Hall also in the grounds has a small but very fine collection of artifacts.
- 6:00 - 19:00 (in spring, autumn)
- 6:00 - 20:00 (in summer)
- 6:30 - 19:00 (in winter)
- No closing days
Price / Rate
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 5 minutes walk from Dazaifu Station on the Nishitetsu Dazaifu Line
Address / Location
- 4-7-1, Saifu, Dazaifu-shi, Fukuoka, 818-0117
- かもめ2号 @kamome2go_1986 - 2014-10-19
- #japan #fukuoka #dazaifu #shirine #太宰府市 The girl who walking in the Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine,… http://t.co/RqgSgnyGme