Former Kaichi School
Founded in 1873, the former Kaichi School is the oldest elementary school in Japan. At the end of the Meiji Period (1868 – 1912) and the beginning of Showa Period (1926 - 1989), the building was dismantled and moved to its current location. From 1965, the building became a museum showcasing turn-of-the-century education from Japan's Meiji Period. Items from the time such as lidded desks and writing implements (chalk and blackboard erasers) are on display. The school has been designated as an Important Cultural Property of Japan.
- 9:00 - 17:00 *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- March - November: 3rd Monday of each month (or the following day when it falls on a national holiday)
- December - February: Mondays (or the following day when it falls on a national holiday)
- Deceber 29 - January 3
Price / Entrance Fee
- 300 yen (General, Adult)
- 150 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- 12 minutes from Matsumoto Staiton on JR or Alpico Kotsu Kamikochi Line by Town Sneaker Bus Northern Course. Get off at Kyu Kaichi-gakko Bus stop.
Address / Location
- 2-4-12, Kaichi, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, 390-0876
- あゐ__AI @Log_ERingi00 - 2019-02-16
- Visit Matsumoto @visitmatsumoto - 2017-11-17
- New Houseware Deals @houseware_deals - 2016-07-10