During the Edo period (1603 – 1868), a nationwide road network was developed in Japan; along the way many Sekisho (checkpoints) were established for the purpose of inspecting travelers and loads. Hakone Sekisho, established in 1619, was one of the most important checkpoints to protect Edo (Tokyo) from the western part of Japan.
The current buildings on the site are historically accurate restorations. A small museum displays artifacts of that era, such as travel certificates, officials' diaries and samurai weaponry. A few minutes' walk to the north along Route 1 is a remaining section the ancient trail that travelers of the Edo period passed along. It is flanked with imposing cedar trees said to be more than 350 years old.
- 9:00 - 16:30
- 9:00 - 16:00 (December - February)
- No closing days
Price / Rate
- 500 yen (General, Adult)
- 250 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- 44 minutes from Hakone-Yumoto Station on the Hakone Tozan Line or Odakyu Line by the bus bound for Hakone-machi. Get off at Sekisho-ato-iriguchi Bus stop.
Address / Location
- 1, Hakone, Hakone-machi Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa, 250-0521
- Taquesha Mordaunt @gizigobicisu - 2014-10-22
- Simply beautiful Japanese scenes, Rainy day in Hakone http://t,co/OMeBx7haNa via @muzachan #Japan
- ♡Nia♡ @magicalchica - 2014-10-22
- @CyberGirlMind Hakone's Most Beautiful Flyer
- ConstructionChat @ConstructChat - 2014-10-22
- Stained Glass Staircase, Hakone Outdoor Museum, Kanagawa, Japan #architecture http://t.co/6HcMdgO6Sd
- ö @makkomakorin - 2014-10-22
- i wish i couldve gotten one of the hakone sweaters before it sold out sob
- Chowmenow @ChowVancouver - 2014-10-22
- Craving #sushi? Check out Hakone Sushi Bar for a great selection of tasty rolls and cones under $5! http://t.co/CXGh6g0wmC #cheapeats #yvr
- mihoko @mihoko_ts - 2014-10-22
- Blog updated! "Hakone Hot Spring trip, 1st day, Dinner at Tokino Shizuku" Check it out! http://t.co/HNrEKSozF7
- Jonathan Bing @ThingofBing - 2014-10-22
- My favorite gif taken by my favorite daughter of my favorite son in one of my favorite places: #WoodsOfNet #Hakone http://t.co/OqWCp0pyyA
- Muza-chan 「ムザちゃん」 @Muzachan - 2014-10-22
- New 'Allegra' train offers better views of Hakone landcape http://t.co/bSLzQHsVfv
- Tikka @thegourmetchic - 2014-10-22
- After more than 8 hour to get here. Its relax time ^^ with hakone instant hot spring #vscocam @… http://t.co/zuFGjtIfue
- Daphne Khoo @deekhoo - 2014-10-22
- 6 years later... @ The Prince Hotel - Hakone http://t.co/A1MVh9Pc1s
- ♡ Carly ♡ @carlycarbonate - 2014-10-22
- I got the best birthday party invitation ever. It involves hot springs in the mountains of Hakone, pizza and beer.
- Yuki Murai @kiki_murai - 2014-10-22
- Celebrating the birthday early in #Hakone 🎉 http://t.co/joGeO2jCyM
- Japan Plus Touristik @JapanPlusAT - 2014-10-22
- @Travelletics If you have time make sure to do side trips to Nikko and Hakone from Tokyo! Both should also have amazing autumn leaves!
- Teshima Junta @teshima_en - 2014-10-22
- There are 20 more kilometers to the second day's finish line. Can they catch Kyoto Fushimi and Hakone Academy?
- Sudapim Bodhipakti @jahsudapim - 2014-10-22
- Bye bye Japan. See you again soon! #hakone #japan #familytrip @ Tokyo Narita International Airport… http://t.co/OOb80N91q8
- - Future Railcar - @sakura_tajo - 2014-10-22
- New ‘Allegra’ train offers better views of Hakone landcape http://t.co/BdPYQG7w35
- Ⓡⓐⓘ ⓘⓝ Ⓑⓘⓚⓔ Ⓗⓔⓛⓛ 雷 @Raishiteru - 2014-10-22
- @rinhasrumplings nyOOMS IN, WHO ARE YOU IN HAKONE?? I feel like you'd make a good Imaizumi, to be honest. .o.
- Crys ๑' Wisp @baemsnake - 2014-10-22
- i really oughta catch up to the manga bc i wanna see the new hakone kids so so bad they look so cute
- NINJA TUBE in JAPAN @NINJA_TUBE_JP - 2014-10-22
- Ishigakiyama Ichiyajo Historical Park:A 40-minute walk from JR Hayakawa Station or a 50-minute walk from Hakone Tozan Line Iriuda Station
- Llumage.com @llumage - 2014-10-22
- Free photo stock: river crane bird staring in hakone-yumot http://t.co/C6U7UuKwZK #animals #naturefreephoto http://t.co/oHRZJUvZEJ
- Rosie☆NEWS10VE♡ @rosiedolly314 - 2014-10-22
- Last saturday went to Hakone with my japanese friends and a classmate from bangkok :) Thank you for… http://t.co/OI4VhEitJa
- A C Car @acablecar - 2014-10-22
- And another photo of me!! Thanks for taking my photo! #cablecar #hakone #station http://t.co/pekwDdxh8d
- The Miss Cat Lady @YoshikoLR - 2014-10-22
- EHH looks like Hakone won day 2 GUESS I'LL FIND OUT NEXT WEEK
- gian ♔ @ceriene - 2014-10-22
- @yamakomas WAHH, thanks min. let's be hakone together sometime = v=
- Hiruma Yoichi @DevilBatQB - 2014-10-22
- @yuutochann Bicycles, huh...? *shrugs* Hakone's far enough. Glad the word's spread to schools that don't care for American Football!!
- 新開 悠人 @yuutochann - 2014-10-22
- @DevilBatQB I attend Hakone Academy, which, we're known for our bicycle club. We're a team of aces, actually.
- Prin.C @dragoprince - 2014-10-22
- Ready for Backpack Day at Hakone & Kawaguchiko Lake by Romance Train ^^ @ Odakyu Line Express From… http://t.co/n9AQcsRn0i
- (`σ▽σ)(ㅎ.ㅎ*) @mabufula - 2014-10-22
- i can't wait for mila to meet the love of my life manamikun and the boyband he is part of also known as hakone gakuen
- Anchor @AnchorBot - 2014-10-22
- I really really really look up to Hakone Shima, He's a really really good utau and is also multipitched and VCV!!! Thats really cooool
- Kanzaki Tooji @toojisan - 2014-10-21
- @real_arakita Oh than you mean the Hakone Bicycle Racing Club. http://t.co/C2oFjdIph9