Hamura Dam (Hamura Syusuiseki)
Along the Okutama Kaido Avenue, you will find the symbol of Hamura City, Hamura Dam. The dam was excavated by the Tamagawa brothers in 1653. The water, which had been provided to people in the Edo era (1603 - 1868) to support their living, is still used as a part of drinking water today for citizens of Tokyo. The riverbank area where the dam locates is crowded with people in spring because it is a popular place for viewing the cherry blossoms.
The statue of the Tamagawa brothers is built in the park in the Hamura Dam. When a new channel was needed to be built with Edo's development, a waterway from Hamura to Yotsuya in Shinjuku was planned by the brothers, Souemon and Seiemon. The brothers completed the Tamagawa-Josui Waterway only in 8 months in 1653. The Tokugawa Shogunate promoted the brothers to Bushi (Samurai) rank and titled them the "Josui-yaku (waterway position)" to administrate the waterway.
- Open 24 hours
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 15 minutes from JR Hamura Station
Address / Location
- 1-1, Tamagawa, Hamura-shi, Tokyo, 205-0024