Kawanakajima Kosenjo (Old Kawanakajima Battlefield)
Tradition has it that Takeda Shingen of Kai Province (today's Yamanashi) and Uesugi Kenshin of Echigo (today's Niigata) had a head-to-head battle in this area during the Battle of Kawanakajima (1553 - 1564). The area is now a historic park called Hachimanbara-shiseki Park surrounded by beautiful nature year-round, and is home to the statues of Shingen and Kenshin, Mitachi Nanatachi monument, Shunen-no-Ishi rock, Kubizuka mound, and other monuments which all tell of the battles.
The monument for the site of Mitachi Nanatachi stands in the place where Uesugi Kenshin made an attack on the stronghold of Takeda Shingen and slashed him with his sword three times. Shingen caught the blows with his fan and it is said that seven sword marks were found on it.
When Shingen and Kenshin had their one-to-one battle, Shingen found himself in danger and was saved by his general. However, it is said that bitterly disappointed by having missed the chance of capturing Kenshin, Shingen pierced a rock with his spear. The rock still exists here and called "Shunen-no-Ishi (Rock of Vengeance)".
Kubizuka is the mound where the first lord of Kaizu Castle (Matsushiro Castle), Kosaka Danjo, respectfully buried the war dead, friend and foe alike, after the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima.
- Open 24 hours
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 20 minutes from JR Nagano Station by the bus bound for Matsushiro via Kosenjo. Get off at Kawanakajima-Kosenjo Bus stop.
Address / Location
- 1384-1, Oshimadamachi, Nagano-shi, Nagano, 381-2212
- fart @1pretty_boi - 2019-04-19
- 悪かった。 @monstergurame - 2019-04-19
- ★ chelsea ★ @spaceangelz_ - 2019-04-19
- Edmund the Borb @EdmundBorb - 2019-04-19
- LZR5000 @gluesnacks - 2019-04-19
- Rob F @doggz1 - 2019-04-19
- ✨isobel harrop✨ @hispersonfriday - 2019-04-19
- GatheringDust @GG_Dust - 2019-04-19
- Voregeoisie @fenrislorsrai - 2019-04-19
- Liz Y. (She/Her) 🤖 @indigo_liz - 2019-04-19
- Miss Ann Dry @anngav - 2019-04-19
- garkon icky @garkon_icky - 2019-04-19
- Kangor the Unkillable @cpt_jawesome - 2019-04-19
- pit @rmdnx13 - 2019-04-19
- max richman @richmanmax - 2019-04-19
- ever permadi @ehpret - 2019-04-19
- patrick @pkhunn - 2019-04-19