Kinpusen-ji Temple is said to have been established in the Nara Period (710 - 794). It is the head temple of Kimpusen-Shugendo, a branch of the Shugendo religion. For many centuries the temple has been one of the major centers for Shugendo and pilgrims often stopped here to pray for good fortune on the journey to Mt. Omine-san.
As you pass through the temple's Kuro-mon main gate and then veer slightly to the right up some stone steps to the Nio-mon Gate. This brings you to the massive, 34 meters tall wooden structure of the Zao-do Hall, which is the main building of the temple. Said to be the Japan's second largest old wooden building after the Daibutsu-den hall of Todai-ji Temple in Nara (a claim made about several others).
Kinpusen-ji Temple enshrines three huge Zao-Gongen Deity statues and the Zao-do main hall houses these statues. The main hall, designated as Japan's national treasure, is also interesting for its 68 unfinished columns made of natural trees, such as cedar, pear, and azalea.
Kinpusen-ji Temple was registered as part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2004 under the name "Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range".
- 8:00 - 16:30
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
- Zao-do Hall: 500 yen (General, Adult); 300 yen (Student); 200 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- 3minutes walk from Yoshino Station on the Kintetsu Yoshino Line and take the ropeway at Senbonguchi Station. Get off at Yoshinoyama Station, then walk 10 minutes.
- 金峯山修験本宗 総本山金峯山寺 kinpusen-ji (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 2498, Yoshinoyama, Yoshino-cho Yoshino-gun, Nara, 639-3115
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2019-12-21
- Experience The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2019-05-14
- Join The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2019-05-14
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2019-05-14
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2019-01-06
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2018-12-27
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2018-12-16
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2018-12-10
- The Real Japan @TheRealJapan1 - 2018-10-30
- The Real Japan - NEW ebook! HowtoTravelinJapan.com @TheRealJapan1 - 2018-10-04
- The Real Japan - NEW ebook! HowtoTravelinJapan.com @TheRealJapan1 - 2018-10-03
- Dreamy @SophieDreamy - 2016-05-03