Komoro Castle Ruins / Kaiko-en Park
Komoro Castle was constructed in 1554 by Takeda Shingen. The castle was built in a location lower than the surrounding towns and was given the name "hole castle". Today the castle is one of the top 100 castles in Japan.
Having lost its role after the Meiji Restoration, Komoro Castle turned into a park called Kaiko-en in 1880, and the castle's San-no-mon gate (the third gate) has been used as the main gate to the park since then. The name of the park came from Kaiko Shrine built in the castle ruins at the same time. Today there are a variety of facilities in the park, such as a museum, zoo, and amusement park.
Komoro castle's Otemon main gate built in 1612 stands across the railroad tracks. It still keeps its original shape and both Otemon gate and San-no-mon gate are now designated as important cultural properties.
- 8:30 - 17:00
- Zoo: 8:30 - 16:30
- Amusement park: 9:00 - 17:00
- Wednesdays (December - mid-March)
- December 29 - January 3
- Amusement park: December - mid-March
Price / Entrance Fee
- All-inclusive ticket for Kaiko-en Park: 500 yen (General, Adult)
- All-inclusive ticket for Kaiko-en Park: 200 yen (Child)
- Park and Zoo only: 300 yen (General, Adult)
- Park and Zoo only: 100 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- 3 minutes walk from Komoro Station on the JR lines or Shinano Railway
- 小諸城址 懐古園 小諸市オフィシャルサイト (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 311, Tei, Komoro-shi, Nagano, 384-0804