Lafcadio Hearn (Koizumi Yakumo) Memorial Museum
Lafcadio Hearn was a British writer who is best known for his writing that introduced Japan to the world in the Meiji Period (1868 - 1912). He is also known as his adopted Japanese name, Koizumi Yakumo.
At the northern end of the Shiomi Nawate is the Lafcadio Hearn (Koizumi Yakumo) Memorial Museum and next to it is his former residence. Built in the authentic Japanese tradition, the museum boasts over 1,000 display items, including 200 of Hearn's most treasured belongings, such as his writing desk, tobacco pipe, manuscripts, and even the suit he wore on arrival to Matsue in 1890. Of the many interesting his possessions on display behind glass, there are stack of Japanese newspapers on which Hearn had written simple words and phrases to teach his son English.
The museum has an English brochure and map showing various points of interest around the town mentioned in his writings.
- 8:30 - 18:30 (April – September)
- 8:30 – 17:00 (October – March)
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- 300 yen (General, Adult)
- 150 yen (Child)
- 150 yen (non-Japanese tourist)
Access / Public Transport
- 18 minutes from JR Matsue Station by Lakeline bus. Get off at Koizumi Yakumo Kinenkan-mae Bus stop.
- 小泉八雲記念館 (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 322, Okudanicho, Matsue-shi, Shimane, 690-0872
- Helen Foster @Differentville - 2019-06-20
- Rosevine Cottage Girls @RosevineCottage - 2019-06-19
- Lost In Football @LiFJapan - 2019-06-18
- Book Review Universe @BookReviewVerse - 2019-06-18
- Linda Huber @LindaHuber19 - 2019-06-17
- Lynne Morley @Lynne_Jean - 2019-06-17
- SSBazinet @SSBazinet - 2019-06-17
- E Wade @egwade01 - 2019-06-17
- J.G. MacLeod @jgmacleodauthor - 2019-06-17
- Lance Morcan @SterlingGate - 2019-06-17
- Heather Burnside @heatherbwriter - 2019-06-17
- Jeff Kuhn, MBA @jmkuhn99 - 2019-06-17
- Colin Garrow @colingarrow - 2019-06-17
- Katherine Pasour @KatherinePasour - 2019-06-17