Lafcadio Hearn's Former Residence
Lafcadio Hearn (known in Japan as Koizumi Yakumo) was a British writer (although he was born in Greece in 1850, educated in France and the UK and lived in the USA from 1869) who came to Japan in 1890 and was to remain there for the rest of his life. He is famed for introducing Japan to the world by his first book on Japan, "Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan", published in 1894.
Hearn came to Matsue in 1890 and lived for over a year until he moved to Kumamoto. He stayed in the Samurai residence for six months in the period with his wife, Setsu. The house which he rent is said to have been originally constructed in the mid-to-late Edo era (1603 – 1868). It was home to a Samurai of the Matsue domain, with the main building enclosed in Japanese gardens designed to recreate the natural landscape of mountains and rivers. The house itself remains largely unchanged, and the gardens, separated into three and each with different styles, are kept as they were during the period of Hearn's residence. Hearn had a fondness for all things Japanese, and was known to enjoy strolling through and looking out over the three gardens. While you are admiring the gardens you can read his essay "In a Japanese Garden", describing how they looked a century ago.
- 8:30 - 18:30 (April - September) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 8:30 - 17:00 (October - March) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- 300 yen (General, Adult)
- 150 yen (Child)
- 150 yen (non-Japanese tourist)
Access / Public Transport
- 18 minutes from JR Matsue Station by Lakeline Bus. Get off at Koizumi Yakumo Kinenkan-mae Bus stop.
- 国指定史跡 小泉八雲旧居（ヘルン旧居） (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 315, Kitahoricho, Matsue-shi, Shimane, 690-0888
- About Anime 101 @AboutAnime101EN - 2020-09-25
- LACMA Bot @LACMAbot - 2020-09-21
- James Alexander Jack 🇳🇱🏴🇯🇵 @jamesajack - 2020-09-20
- I Talk You Talk @italkyoutalk - 2020-09-20
- ローラ (Laura) @kitty_witty_cat - 2020-09-20
- Highlighting Japan @HighlightingJ - 2020-09-19