Lake Shikotsu-ko, a volcanic caldera lake 40.3 kilometers around, was created by a major eruption 40,000 years ago. It is the second deepest lake in Japan: 363 meters in depth. The lake is surrounded by mountain peaks - Mt. Eniwadake on its north and Mt. Tarumae and Mt. Fuppushi on its south - which are beautifully reflected in the lake.
A sightseeing boat is available for visitors from April to early-Novemver. A rent-a-bicycle service is also available and is operated by the ryokan Japanese inn situated along the lake.
- Open 24 hours
- Visitor Center: 9:00 - 17:30 (April - November)
- Visitor Center: 9:30 - 16:30 (December - March)
- No closing days
- Visitor Center: Tuesdays (December - March)
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 40 minutes from JR Chitose Station by the bus bound for Shikotsu-ko. Get off at Shikotsu-ko Bus stop.
Address / Location
- Shikotsukonsen, Chitose-shi, Hokkaido, 066-0281