Mt. Takao-san is located in Hachioji City on the western edge of Tokyo. The mountain is rich in nature and is designated as a national park. Though the elevation is only 599 meters, the mountain boasts lush broad-leafed forests, fully blooming cherry blossoms in spring, brilliant autumn colors, and stunning winter views of Mt. Fuji.
Since the mountain is located about an hour from central Tokyo, it is a popular spot for easy mountain hiking. There are several routes to the top of the mountain, allowing people of any physical condition, level of interest, group size or purpose to enjoy hiking. The halfway point (472 meters above sea level) can be reached by either a cable car or a chair lift, and you can freely enjoy a relaxing hike on the mountain that takes about one and half hours to reach the mountain's summit from there.
In addition to Takao-san Yakuo-in temple, there are many places to visit along the main path to the summit, such as Monkey Park, Wild Plant Garden, and an observation deck. In the Monkey Park, visitors can see 48 Japanese macaques up close. The Wild Plant Garden features around 300 varieties of plants, which flower at various times to provide beauty in every season.
Another great site of the mountain is Tako-sugi (Octopus Cedar). This over 450-year old tree is famous for its role in a legend. Long ago, when the tree was going to be cut to widen a path, its roots miraculously bent out of the way and into the unmistakable shape of an octopus.
The summit of Mt. Takao-san has observation areas and snack shops, as well as a visitor center where you can learn about the nature and history of the mountain.
- Visitor center: 10:00 - 16:00
- Visitor center: The third Monday of each month (or the following day when it falls on a national holiday)
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 5 minutes walk from Takaosan-guchi Station on the Keio Takao Line (KO53). Take Takao Tozan Cable Car at Kiyotaki Station or Takao Tozan Lift at Sanroku Station.
Address / Location
- 2176, Takaomachi, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo, 193-0844
- ALEX🇨🇦アレックス @osakamambo - 2019-04-15
- Umeer @UmeerRama - 2019-04-13
- Zerah @zerahkawami - 2019-04-13
- Zerah @zerahkawami - 2019-04-13
- Sleepyheads @aru_cooking - 2019-04-09
- The Sleepyheads @aru_cooking - 2019-04-09
- Ｒ（アール） @aru_cooking - 2019-04-09
- Dragons Forge Tattoo @dragonsforge - 2019-04-07
- 志摩-Chris @hnk_chris - 2019-04-07
- Javi Lavandeira #JoSócCDR @javilm - 2019-04-06
- Javi Lavandeira #JoSócCDR 🏅 @javilm - 2019-04-06
- Internet Ghost @Pampelmeister - 2019-04-04
- Derek James Richards @richards_james - 2019-04-03
- your crush @cutedatebot - 2019-04-03
- Akshay Kumar @kakshay92 - 2019-04-02
- TaKao and his Chocobo flock @ChocoboRaid - 2019-04-01
- William Bollinger @William33572221 - 2019-04-01
- law ☂️ @ SERIZAWA IS 200CM @d4imeiwaku - 2019-03-31
- Myriad Design @Myriad_Design - 2019-03-30
- GlobalStudies@Temple @TUGlobalStudies - 2019-03-29
- CountZero @countZero00 - 2019-03-27
- Kenkojuku Karate @KenkojukuSJ - 2019-03-27
- law ☂️ @ SERIZAWA IS 200CM @d4imeiwaku - 2019-03-26
- TakeYourBag @takeyourbag - 2019-03-23
- POW photos @pow_photos - 2019-03-21
- kay's translation acc @kay_translates - 2019-03-21
- law ☂️ @ FRIENDSHIP @d4imeiwaku - 2019-03-21
- law ☂️ @ SERIZAWA IS 200CM @d4imeiwaku - 2019-03-21
- sylvie @sylvie_b - 2019-03-21
- Benedict Reuschling @bsdbcr - 2019-03-20