Netsu-no-Yu Bathhouse is a place where you can experience "Yumomi". Yumomi is a method of cooling down hot spring water which is a unique feture of Kusatsu. Onsen workers cool very hot bathwater by stirring it with 1.8 meters long wooden planks in response to commands issued by a leader (Yu-cho). While stirring, the workers sing Yumomi-Uta folk song to maintain a rhythm. After the Yumomi, bathers pour 30 or 40 buckets of water over their head to prevent dizziness before entering the hot bath for three minutes. It is called "Jikan-Yu" and is repeated four times a day at bathhouses in Kusatsu. You can watch the Yumomi performance, or try it yourself and receive a certificate and souvenir.
- Yumomi Performance: 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 15:30, 16:00, 16:30 *varies according to the season
- Yumomi Experience: 11:30 - 14:00 (Saturdays, Sundays and National holidays of April through November)
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- 500 yen (General, Adult)
- 250 yen (Child)
- Yumomi Experience: 200 yen
Access / Public Transport
- 25 minutes from JR Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi by the bus bound for Kusatsu Onsen. Get off at Kusatsu Bus Termilal.
- 草津温泉 熱の湯 (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 414, Kusatsu, Kusatsu-machi Agatsuma-gun, Gumma, 377-1711
- Sanako Saito @SaitoSanako - 2020-09-21
- benezuerajin @benezuerajin - 2020-09-20
- Japanese culture @JPN_cultureblog - 2020-09-20