Nippara-Shonyudo Limestone Cave
Nippara-Shonyudo Limestone Cave is the largest limestone cave in the Kanto region. It is more than 800 meters in depth, about 280 meters of which is illuminated and can be explored. This vast underground space is an example of the inconceivable beauty of nature. Many of the fascinating stalactites bear their own name.
The fantastic interior of the limestone cavern maintains a temperature of approximately 11 degrees Celsius, making it feel cool in summer and pleasantly warm in winter. Formed by the slow steady trickling of droplets of water, the stalagmites in the cavern require 400 years to grow a mere 3 cm. The tour course, which has a big difference between the highest and lowest points of the course, is like a three-dimensional maze and takes about 40 minutes.
In the neighborhood of the cave are many high rocks of fantastic shapes. Located opposite Inamura Village in central Nippara, the massive Inamura Rock is known as the symbol of the region. A scenic area, formations such as Bonten Rock, Kago Rock and Tsubame Rock can also be found in the vicinity of the limestone cavern.
- 8:00 - 17:00 (April - November)
- 8:30 - 16:30 (December - March)
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- 700 yen (General, Adult)
- 500 yen (Junior high student)
- 400 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- Weekdays: 35 minutes from JR Okutama Station by the bus bound for Shonyudo. Get off at the last stop.
- Weekends and National holidays: 30 minutes from JR Okutama Station by the bus bound for Higashi Nippara. Get off at the last stop, then walk 20 minutes.
- 日原鍾乳洞 (Only available in Japanese)
Address / Location
- 1052, Nippara, Okutama-machi Nishitama-gun, Tokyo, 198-0211
- Nina...just Nina 😉 @nina_in_japan - 2019-05-22
- DOR Westmeister @DOR_Westmeister - 2019-05-22
- Dr. Savvy Kenya (PhD) @savvykenya - 2019-05-18
- Patrick Webster @TheMysteriousOs - 2019-05-16
- ECC | Teach in Japan @ECCTeachinJapan - 2019-05-16
- dorf_physics @dorf_physics - 2019-05-15
- Michael John Major @michaelmajor830 - 2019-05-13