Norikura-kogen is an immense plateau, which lies to the east of Mt. Norikura. From the highest pinnacle of Kengamine (3,026 meters), the plateau consists of as many as twenty-three ridges. It is unique because of the gradual saddle-like shape of the mountain. The big snow patches add to the allure of the scenery, and you can enjoy magnificent views from Japan's highest road (2,700 meters), the "Norikura Skyline", by shuttle bus.
The plateau also offers various seasonal activities all year round. You can walk between snow walls in spring. In summer, you can enjoy trekking and camping surrounded by white birch trees and larch trees, many kinds of high-altitude plants, such as Japanese azalea, white arum and lily-of-the-valley. The snow remains even in August so that you can experience sledding or making a snowman in May to August. You can enjoy a beautiful fall foliage in autumn. In winter, there are a lot of great activities including not only skiing, but also snowshoeing and sledding on the famous Japanese powder snow.
There are also numerous hot springs, some of which are famous for their white spring water.
- Open 24 hours
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 60 minutes from Shin-Shimashima Station on the Alpico Kotsu Kamikochi Line by the bus bound for Kyukamura Norikura-kogen or Shirahone Onsen. Get off at Norikura Kanko Center or Kyukamura Noriura-kogen Bus stop.
Address / Location
- 4307, Azumi, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, 390-1520
- Sam Robson @FRsoccerSam - 2019-06-26
- The J-Talk Podcast @JTalkPod - 2019-06-26
- Around Japan @AroundJapan2014 - 2019-06-26
- Borderlink, Inc. @Borderlink - 2019-06-26
- Financier Worldwide @FWWMagazine - 2019-06-26
- 愚礼闘夜夛 great yota @_great_yota_ - 2019-06-26
- I'm kya-ing for... @danshichiimu - 2019-06-25
- Mike Manefield @MikeManefield - 2019-06-25
- Ben Williams @BenitoWill - 2019-06-25
- Joseph Bonney @JoeBonesArt - 2019-06-25
- Arcainum @Arcainum - 2019-06-25
- Kim Baublys @KimBaublys - 2019-06-24
- Stevan Walter @BersiWalter - 2019-06-24
- Nippon.com @nippon_en - 2019-06-24
- Steve Weintz @Moe_Delaun - 2019-06-24
- Can u Händel diz @Andreas_Maris_ - 2019-06-24
- Peter Sandham @HKSandham - 2019-06-24