Owaku-dani (Great Boiling Valley)
Owaku-dani lies in the 3,000-year-old ancient crater of Mt. Kamiyama. The entire gorge reeks of sulfurous fumes. Clouds of steam rise from crevasses, hot springs bubble out, and in some cases, hot water has been tapped and piped to distant places.
You can buy black-colored eggs boiled in the hot sulphur springs here. It is believed that eating the eggs prolongs your life.
- 8:00 - 17:30
- 8:00 - 17:00 (December 1 - March 20)
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 35 minutes from Hakone-Yumoto Station on the Hakone Tozan Line or Odakyu Line by the bus bound for Kojiri / Hakone-en. Get off at Owakudani Bus stop.
- 10 minutes from Gora Station on the Hakone Tozan Line by Hakone Tozan Cablecar, and get off at Soun-zan Station. Then transfer to Hakone Ropeway and get off at Owakudani Station (8 minutes ride).
Address / Location
- 1251, Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa, 250-0631
- Mariam Hosseini @yogurtsoda - 2015-05-28
- Gondola-ing over the Great Boiling Valley of Owakudani. Super inviting name, yeah? 🚠 https://t.co/oHEUZ4pt2N
- orpheus apologist @SairinScarfire - 2015-05-14
- ok i googled it and it was ouwakudani, the GREAT BOILING VALLEY of hakone, with the life-granting black eggs which were p good actually
- Victoria @inthefrow - 2015-03-24
- So much Sulphur. Owakudani 'Boiling Valley', Hakone 💜 #inthefrowinjapan http://t.co/DK9h1Pp5At http://t.co/tVp3QbbQe8