Although not listed as one of Japan's big three gardens (Kenroku-en in Kanazawa, Koraku-en in Okayama, and Kairaku-en in Mito), Ritsurin-koen Garden is admired as one of the masterpieces of Japanese landscape gardening. The 75-hectare garden winds around a series of hills, ponds with lookouts, tearooms, bridges and islands. The garden also offers a variety of trees as well as many stone arrangements skillfully laid out to harmonize with the surrounding pine-covered Mt. Shiun-zan.
In the garden, the Sanuki Folkcraft Museum displays local crafts. The feudal-era Kikugetsu-tei Teahouse, also known as tehe Chrysanthemum Moon Pavilion, offers Japanese tea and sweets, and there are several other small teahouses inside the park including the very lovely thatch-roofed Higurashi-tei Teahouse.
The garden actually took more than a century to complete. In 1625, the Takamatsu feudal lord Ikoma Takatoshi began the construction of the garden. Even after the new lord Matsudaira Yorishige took over the Takamatsu Domain in 1642, the construction of the garden was not stopped and still continued. Then the garden was finally completed by the 5th Takamatsu-Matsudaira lord Yoritaka in 1745, after over 100 years of improvements and extensions made by the successive lords.
Today, the south side of the garden is a traditional Chisen-Kaiyushiki-Teien style Japanese garden (a stroke-style garden around a big pond) and the north side is a renovated semi-Western style garden. Visitors can enjoy both of the garden's beautiful scenery throughout the four seasons.
- Sunrise - Sunset *varies according to the season
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- 410 yen (General, Adult)
- 170 yen (Child)
Access / Public Transport
- 3 minutes walk from JR Ritrurinkoen-Kitaguchi Station
- 10 minutes walk from Ritsurin-Koen Station on the Kotoden Kotohira Line
Address / Location
- 1-20-16, Ritsurincho, Takamatsu-shi, Kagawa, 760-0073
- miyoshi5971 @miyoshi5971 - 2019-02-22
- 🇯🇵Origami🏳️🌈 @origami444 - 2019-02-21
- 高松翔 @Takamatsu_Sho - 2019-02-21
- Akira Takamatsu @akira_takamatsu - 2019-02-15
- sunrisebot @sunrisebot - 2019-02-15
- She Wanders the Globe @SheWandersGlobe - 2019-02-15
- JpnScope @jpnscope - 2019-02-14
- The Train Hacker 🚅 @TheTrainHacker - 2019-02-14
- DharmaVirodhi Aditya @almostinfamous - 2019-02-14