Sakurajima, a former island located only 4 kilometers from Kagoshima City, is an active volcano with an altitude of 1,117 meters, and its magnificent existence is the symbol of Kagoshima. It is said that the volcano has erupted over 30 times in the past, and Sakurajima island turned into the current peninsula at the time of its eruption in 1914. The lava from the crater blocked the 400 – 500 meter-wide channel which formerly had separated from the Osumi Peninsula.
Although Sakurajima is still very active, visitors can cross to it by ferry and enjoy a lava walk and a closer look at the volcano, still regularly spewing smoke.
- Sakurajima Visitor Center: 10:00 - 17:00
- Sakurajima Visitor Center: No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Sakurajima Ferry: 160 yen
- Sakurajima Ferry: 80 yen
- Sakurajima Visitor Center: Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 15 minutes by ferry from Sakurajima Ferry Terminal at Kagoshima Port
- Sakurajima Visitor Center: 10 minutes walk from Sakurajima Port
Address / Location
- Sakurajima Visitor Center: 1722-29, Sakurajima Yokoyamacho, Kagoshima-shi, Kagoshima, 891-1419