Shugaku-in Rikyu Imperial Villa
Shugaku-in Rikyu, or "detached palace", was built in 1656 by the abdicated emperor Go-Mizunoo with the aid of the third Tokugawa Shogun, Tokugawa Iemitsu. Designed as an imperial retreat, the villa grounds are divided into three large garden areas (lower, middle and upper) on a hillside of Mt. Hiei-zan. These gardens are characterized by a complete unification of nature and garden, and its reputation rests on their ponds, pathways, and impressive use of "Shakkei (borrowed scenery)" in the form of the surrounding hills. The view from the Rinun-tei teahouse in the upper garden is particularly impressive.
*Note: You need to join a visit tour to enter. Advance booking is required at the Kyoto office of the Imperial Household Agency. Online application is also available (Please visit the link below). Children under 18 years old cannot join the tour.
- Visit Tour (80 minutes): From 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 13:30, 15:00 (Booking required)
- Visit Tour: Sundays and National holidays
- Visit Tour: Saturdays (January – February, June – October, December) *except the 3rd Saturday
- Visit Tour: December 28 – January 4
Price / Entrance Fee
- Visit Tour: Free (Booking required) *Children under 18 years old cannot join the tour.
Access / Public Transport
- 20 minutes walk from Shugakuin Station on the Eizan Main Line (E05)
- 44 minutes from JR Kyoto Station by the #5 bus. Get off at Shugakuin-Rikyu-michi Bus stop, then walk 15 minutes.
Address / Location
- Shugakuin Yabusoe, Sakyo-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, 606-8052
- Fortena Beauty Deals @Fortena_1122 - 2015-05-24
- BEAUTY + Deals : http://t.co/lrvNs9DyE1 New JAPAN YOJIYA Moisture lotion Skin care 200ml Kyoto limited product #8… http://t.co/okgnDrPw7V
- Simolian DEALS @Simolian_28 - 2015-05-24
- HOT DEALS http://t.co/j6kwkbmUzc #35602 KYOTO YOJIYA Hair Care Camellia Oil 30ml from Japan #1192
End Dat… http://t.co/IAQajUKGpI
- Shigenobu Fujioka @nobufujioka - 2015-05-24
- Tribes in Kyoto: PARASOPHIA - Xu Tan, A big aile to him and keep watch in future #art #exhibition #Japan http://t.co/zgjQmkb6GT
- Dana Sondy @DanaSondy - 2015-05-24
- Deals >> http://t.co/Mp8N0gLF74 #3546 KYOTO Yojiya Oil Blotting Paper 10 sets Face Care for make up from JAPAN #3… http://t.co/vVV8LKjgdI
- kyojapan @kyojapan2014 - 2015-05-24
- We are very grateful that Kyojapan was featured on the website of a UK’s long standing g travel agency. #Kyoto #Japan #Kyojapan #travel
- YouTach @YouTach - 2015-05-24
- It is guidebook blog of Fushimi-Inari Taisha Shrine of Kyoto, Japan
http://t.co/eOpwuKc8Zw http://t.co/lQdni44mOf http://t.co/tlrSMitWmd
- InstaKyoto @InstaKyoto - 2015-05-24
- Hotel view in #Kyoto #Japan #wanderlust by liseconde http://t.co/hlGHuSGRPn http://t.co/gp1mWFg5MU
- lise @liseconde - 2015-05-24
- Waiting for the Shinkansen to Kyoto. #Japan #wanderlust https://t.co/bh7pS0FDNJ
- SOLIPAX BEAUTY DEALS @Solipax_22 - 2015-05-24
- Beauty Shop #0749 KYOTO Yojiya Oil Blotting Paper 10 sets Face Care for make up from JAPAN KYOTO Yojiya Oil Blottin… http://t.co/yXWhPn6uqn
- trinder @trinder_yuri - 2015-05-24
- Kyoto was the capital city of Japan hundreds years ago.
For Manga fans, it may be famous for Rurouni Kenshin(Samurai X).
- CYNTHIA @My2Two2Cents - 2015-05-24
'@ShawnHuckaby: Fushini Inari Shrine, Kyoto, Japan. Photo by Steve McCurry. http://t.co/xAIV88RmI1'
- Beauty Shop @Santi_moral_3 - 2015-05-24
- Beauty Shop : KYOTO Yojiya Oil Blotting Paper 10 sets Face Care for make up from JAPAN #1… http://t.co/ybVCx7G7fm http://t.co/5w7MMeBEpN
- Shawn Huckaby @ShawnHuckaby - 2015-05-24
- Fushini Inari Shrine, Kyoto, Japan. Photo by Steve McCurry. http://t.co/FO8yRsTQZz
- hoplasd_6sdf @hoplasd_6sdf - 2015-05-24
- KYOTO Yojiya Oil Blotting Paper 10 sets Face Care for make up from JAPAN http://t.co/5pWh7jwRt7 #6882
- Jeremy & Angie @livingdreamrtw - 2015-05-24
- Unusual Temples and Let Downs in Kyoto http://t.co/7jlOdPHFzo #japan
- Musica Cloud® @musicacloud - 2015-05-24
- #雨奇晴好 'Come rain or come shine' Zen Word. Kyoto Japan... http://t.co/gzYQShV967 http://t.co/QJQU2aTXJf
- Yaya Han @YayaHan - 2015-05-24
- I'm not done with my Japan Vlogs yet! Here's a one of my last day in Kyoto! https://t.co/VpwnqVmMln #Japanigans Hope you like it!!
- InstaKyoto @InstaKyoto - 2015-05-24
- 'Travel often, getting lost will help you find yourself.' #kyoto#japan#asia#golden#temple#… http://t.co/hKUJWuKZKM http://t.co/lhjVHfXI0B
- Ana Astri-O'Reilly @anaoreilly - 2015-05-24
- Explore north east Kyoto along the Philosophers path with @2AusTravellers - http://t.co/fVqDPykR4y #kyoto #japan #ttot
- hoplasd_vowl @hoplasd_vowl - 2015-05-24
- #Deals : New JAPAN YOJIYA Moisture lotion Skin care 200ml Kyoto limited product http://t.co/JxsXwSQQA3 #Beauty #… http://t.co/kZMMO1YGIE