Tashima-jinja Shrine (Sayohime-jinja Shrine)
Tashima-jinja Shrine, located near the Kabeshima Port, enshrines the gods of marine safety and success in business. It is uncertain when the shrine was founded, but it is said to have been during or before the Heian Period (794 - 1185).
There is also Sayohime-jinja Shrine stands in the precincts of the shrine. Legend says that Princess Sayo turned into stone in her grief while she was praying at Tashima-jinja Shrine for the safety of her husband, Otomo-no-Satehiko, who was dispatched to the Korean Peninsula by the order of the Emperor Senka in the 6th century. Then she became the god of love and the shine was established.
- Open 24 hours
- No closing days
Price / Entrance Fee
- Admission Free
Access / Public Transport
- 40 minutes taxi ride from JR Karatsu Station
- 45 minutes from JR Karatsu Station by the bus bound for Kabeshima. Get off at Kabeshima-chubu Bus stop.
Address / Location
- 3965-1, Yobukocho Kabeshima, Karatsu-shi, Saga, 847-0305
- Russ Rowlett @LHDirectory - 2021-01-25
- Monika Landfried @MomiraMonika - 2021-01-24
- Françoise van Straelen @van_strael - 2021-01-24
- dynamite_boatrace_japan @BoatraceJapan - 2021-01-22