Chikurin-ji Temple, established by a priest Gyoki in 724, is located on top of Mt.
Godai-san, several kilometers away from the town center of Kochi.
The temple is No.
31 on Ohenro (Shikoku 88 temple pilgrimage), and there is an attractive five-story pagoda at the top of the hill.
As the temple enshrines Manjusri, a bodhisattva associated with transcendent wisdom, many students come here to pray for success in exams.
The temple's treasure house has an interesting collection of old statues, some of them looking very Indian or Tantric, and is worth a look.
The temple also has a beautiful Japanese garden which was designed by Muso Soseki in 1318 and registered as a Natural Monument in 2004.
- Open 24 hours
- Treasure House and Garden: 8:30 - 17:00 *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 20 minutes taxi ride from JR Kochi Station
- 26 minutes from JR Kochi Station by My-Yu bus. Get off at Chikurinji-mae Bus stop. *Only available on weekends and national holidays.
Address / Location
- Visit_KOCHI_Japan @visit_kochi - 2019-03-18
- Liem Dang @liemdang131 - 2017-06-17
- ynk @ynk_mouse - 2017-04-18
- Japan Hoppers @JapanHoppers - 2016-12-14
- Visit Kyoto & Nara @VisitKyotoNara - 2016-12-10
- The Last Samirai @thelastsamirai - 2016-04-13
- Rhonda Krause @TravelYesPlease - 2015-11-19
- Flavia Miatto @FlaviaMiatto - 2015-09-21
- dimitri della faille @dimitridf - 2015-07-18
- Rhonda Krause @TravelYesPlease - 2015-07-08
- Sean Bergman @sbergman - 2015-04-11
- エレンニコラス @AaronNicholasW - 2015-03-20