Edo-Tokyo Tatemono-en (Edo-Tokyo Open-air Architectural Museum)

Travel Guide - Edo-Tokyo Tatemono-en (Edo-Tokyo Open-air Architectural Museum)

Information

Edo-Tokyo Open-air Architectural Museum is an open-air museum offers you an opportunity to stop at old merchant houses, an old-style public bathhouse, etc., while enjoying a walk in the rich nature of Musashino.

A newly relocated building in the museum's west zone is House of George de Lalande.
Characterized by its slate mansard roof and clapboard siding, it is a Western-style wooden house originally built in Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku.
The ground floor is known to have been designed by Jiro Kitao, the meteorologist and physicist of the Meiji Era (1868 - 1912), as his private residence.
The single-story structure was enlarged to become three-story wooden building around 1910 by the German architect George de Lalande.

Opening Hours

  • 9:30 - 17:30 (April - September. Admission until 30 minutes before closing)
  • 9:30 - 16:30 (October - March. Admission until 30 minutes before closing)

Closed

  • Mondays (or the following day when it falls on a national holiday)
  • New Year’s holidays

Access / Public Transport

  • Take the bus #2 or #3 from JR Musashi-Koganei Station, then get off at Koganei Koen Nishi-guchi Bus stop
  • Take the bus #4 from JR Musashi-Koganei Station, then get off at Edo-Tokyo Tatemonoen-mae Bus stop
  • Take the bus bound for Musashi-Koganei Station from Hanakoganei Station on the Seibu Shinjuku Line (SS18), then get off at Koganei-Koen Nishi-guchi Bus stop

Address / Location

* Please click each address to show the location.
Koshinkan Hall
Koshinkan was originally an old house of a wealthy farmer in the Edo Era (1603 - 1868). Then the building was used for soy sauce brewing and  ...  more »
Katsushika Shibamata Tora-san Museum / Yamada Yoji Museum
This is a memorial hall for “Otoko-wa-Tsuraiyo (It’s tough being a man)”, the comic film series that was a big hit with Atsumi Kiyoshi starri ...  more »
Takahata Fudoson Kongo-ji Temple
Takahata Fudoson is one of the oldest temple in the Kanto region. The temple of the Shingon School of Buddhism is said to have been founded i ...  more »
Toi Kinzan Gold Mine
Toi Kinzan was Izu’s largest gold mine, which had a working mine for roughly 400 years. The gold mine tunnels extend more than 100 kilometers ...  more »
Sendai Castle Ruins (Aoba Castle Ruins)
Sendai Castle, or also called Aoba Castle, was built on the Aoba-yama Hill by Date Masamune in 1602 . Since then, the castle was the residenc ...  more »
Shaw Memorial Chapel (Shaw House Museum)
It is the oldest church in Karuizawa built in 1895 by A.C. Shaw, a Canadian missionary who built the foundations of today's Karuizawa. The lo ...  more »
Ainu Museum (Shiraoi Poroto Kotan)
Kotan village by the side of Lake Poroto, where the Ainu people once lived, has been restored. For preservation of word-of-mouth traditions o ...  more »

Tweets

No Tweets found.
Copied title and URL