Kamaishi Dai-Kannon is a big statue of Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) constructed in 1970.
You can go inside the 48.5 meters tall statue which overlooks the the Kamaishi Bay, and from the observatory 38 meters above the ground, you can see the Mada-misaki Cape on the left and the Ozaki-hanto Peninsula on the right.
There are also 33 small wooden Kannon statues enshrined inside.
- 9:00–17:00 (March – June, October – November) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 9:00–17:30 (July - September) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 9:00–18:00 (July 20 - August 20) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 9:00–16:30 (December - February) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- December 29 – 31
Access / Public Transport
- 7 minutes from JR Kamaishi Station by the bus bound for Hirata. Get off at Kannon-iriguchi Bus stop.
Address / Location
- N @NattyG0 - 2020-08-27
- Frame of Travel (Victor) @frameoftravel - 2019-10-03
- Japan Hoppers @JapanHoppers - 2018-05-18
- Alan Mockridge @alangm - 2018-01-05