Kanazawa Castle has been the residential castle of the Maeda family since Toshiie Maeda first entered the castle in 1583 and basic fortifications began.
In 1881 all the castle walls apart from Ishikawa-mon Gate, were destroyed by fire.
Finally, over period of 3 years, three structures Hishi-yagura, Gojukken-nagaya, and Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki-yagura were restored in 2001.
They are the largest scale wooden castle structures built since the Meiji Period (1868 – 1912) in Japan.
- 7:00 - 18:00 (March – October 15)
- 8:00 - 17:00 (October 16 - February)
- Hishi-yagura, Gojukken-nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki-yagura: 9:00 - 16:30 *admission until 30 minutes before closing
Access / Public Transport
- 10 minutes from JR Kanazawa Station by the #11, #12, #91 bus.Get off at Kenrokuen-shita Bus stop.