Katsura-Rikyu Imperial Villa was built in 1624 by the emperor's brother Prince Hachijo Toshihito for the Hachijo-no-miya (later Katsura-no-miya) family.
Katsura-no-miya is one of the four branches of the imperial family.
Then the villa was renovated and extended three times, and finally completed in 1662.
The villa consists of several Shoin-style buildings and teahouses in the 58,000 square meters of premises surrounded by a bamboo grove.
The villa's garden with a large pond is renowned as an outstanding example of Japanese landscape gardening, and the beauty of the combination of the garden and architecture is internationally known.
*Note: You need to join a visit tour to enter.
Advance booking is required at the Kyoto office of the Imperial Household Agency.
Online application is also available (Please visit the link below).
Children under 18 years old cannot join the tour.
- Visit Tour: 9:00 – 15:30 (Booking required)
- Visit Tour: Sundays and National holidays
- Visit Tour: Saturdays (January – February, June – October, December) *except the 3rd Saturday
- Visit Tour: December 28 – January 4
Access / Public Transport
- 23 minutes from JR Kyoto Station by the #33 bus. Get off at Katsura-Rikyu-mae Bus stop.
- 20 minutes walk from Katsura Station on the Hankyu Kyoto Line or Hankyu Arashiyama Line