Kennin-ji is the oldest Zen temple in Kyoto, founded by the priest Eisai in 1202.
Eisai is the first Japanese who brought tea seeds from China, and Yotsugashira tea ceremony is held here on his birthday, April 20 every year.
The temple's "Fujin-Raijin (Wind and Thunder Gods)" drawn by Tawaraya Sotatsu is designated as a national treasure.
Another attraction of the temple is the ceiling painting "Twin Dragons" drawn by Koizumi Junsaku in 2002 to commemorate the 800-year anniversary of the temple.
- 10:00 - 17:00 (March - October) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 10:00 - 16:30 (November - February) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 10 minutes walk from Gion-Shijo Station on the Keihan Main Line
- Take the #206 bus from JR Kyoto Station and get off at Higashiyama-Yasui Bus stop (11 minutes bus ride)