Koetsu-ji Temple and its garden were originally the residence of Hon-ami Koetsu, a noted artist in the 17th century.
The place was given to him from Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1615.
After Koetsu's death, his residence was turned into the temple in 1656.
His tombstone stands in the temple grounds.
The temple's garden is famous for its attractive bamboo fences and autumn leaves.
The seven tea houses in the garden were built in the Taisho Period (1912 - 1926).
- 8:00 - 17:00
- November 10 - 13
Access / Public Transport
- 15 minutes from Kitaoji Station on the Kyoto Municipal Subway Karasuma Line (K04) by Kita 1 bus. Get off at Takagamine Genkoan-mae Bus stop.