Koun-kaku Palace was originally constructed in 1903 to host the Emperor Meiji.
His visit was cancelled, but the building was later used as lodgings for the Crown Prince Yoshihito (the Emperor Taisho to be) in 1907.
The building is western in design with a Japanese style roof.
It was designated as a tangible cultural property by Shimane Prefecture in 1969.
Today, this building is used as Matsue Folk Museum.
- 8:30 - 17:00 *admission until 16:40
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 17 minutes from JR Matsue Station by Matsue Lake Line Bus. Get off at Otemae Horikawa Yuransen-noriba Bus stop.