Minuma Tsusenbori (Minuma Canal)

Travel Guide - Minuma Tsusenbori (Minuma Canal)


Minuma Tsusenbori, or Minuma Canal, is one of the oldest canals in Japan.
It was built in the same way as the lock gate of the Panama Canal.
It was opened in 1731, even 180 years earlier than the Panama Canal, to facilitate the transportation of goods between Urawa and Edo.
It provides a connection between the Minuma Irrigation Canal and the Shiba-gawa River and has a rise and fall of 3 meters.
It shows the strength of the technology at that time, and has been designated a national historic landmark.
The residence of the canal caretaker (Suzuki Residence) remains as it stood at that time.
Currently, the whole area around the canal has become the Minuma Tsusenbori Park and the 1km-long road along the canal is a good place for a stroll.

Opening Hours

  • Open 24 hours


  • No closing days

Access / Public Transport

  • 8 minutes walk from JR Higashi-Urawa Station

Address / Location

* Please click each address to show the location.


No tweets found.

Recommended Places

Hikawa-jinja Shrine
Hikawa Shrine is one of the very few historic and formal shrines in Japan. Omiya, literally meaning, “Great Shrine” received its name from th ...  more »
Koedo Kawagoe (Kawagoe Kurazukuri Street)
Kawagoe is a city that has many cultural assets following cities like Kamakura and Nikko, and has been specified National Historic City. You  ...  more »
Magome Bunshi Mura
In Magome, a number of Japan's leading authors and artists such as Kawabata Yasunari, Uno Chiyo, Kitahara Hakushu and so forth lived in the l ...  more »
Shimbashi Enbujo Theatre
The Shimbashi Enbujo Theatre was originally built in 1925 in Ginza (former Kabukicho) mainly to host the Shimbashi geisha girl's Azuma Orori  ...  more »
Imperial Theater
Imperial Theater, or "Teikoku Gekijo" in Japanese, is the first Western-style theater in Japan opened in 1911. The historical theater with 1, ...  more »
Yanaka Cemetery
Yanaka Cemetery was founded in 1874 in the place where Yanaka Tenno-ji Temple was originally located. The ruins of Yanaka Tenno-ji's Five-Sto ...  more »
Homyo-ji Temple (Zohshigaya Kishimojin)
Homyo-ji Temple was originally established in 810 as a temple of Shingon Buddhism, Iko-ji Temple. The name of the temple was changed to Homyo ...  more »