Located in the east of Lake Tazawa-ko, Mt. Akita-Komagatake is an active volcano that last erupted in 1970.
The mountain is 1,623 meters above sea level, which is the highest in Akita Prefecture.
Since there are many "Komagatake" mountains in Japan, the local people call the mountain by a nickname "Akita-Koma".
There are several different approaches for hiking around Mt. Akita-Komagatake (The climbing season begins on June 1).
The easiest way to start is taking a bus to Komagatake-Hachigome (Eighth Station).
From there it takes about an hour to climb up to the summit area where you can choose trails circling several peaks.
While walking these trails, you will find a various kinds of beautiful alpine plants such as Komakusa (Dicentra peregrina) and Chinguruma (Geum pentapetala).
One trail leads across to the peak of Mt. Nyuto-san where you can hike down to Nyuto Onsen Hot Spring.
This is an all-day trek, so you need to be properly prepared if you choose this route.
The bus service operates from June to October only.
In addition, the service only operates on weekends and national holidays in June, September and October.
- Open 24 hours
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 60 minutes from JR Tazawako Station by the bus bound for Komagatake-Hachigome. Get off at the last stop. *The bus service operates from June to October only.
Address / Location
- Japan Society Talks+ @js_TalksPlus - 2019-10-12
- Nippon.com @nippon_en - 2019-10-02
- ばくらお うぃりー @askalinu - 2019-10-02
- Fearious Black @FeariousBlack - 2017-09-29
- Judit Kawaguchi @judittokyo - 2017-09-15
- 1minute Traveller @30secTravel - 2017-01-04