Nikko Futarasan-jinja Shrine

Travel Guide - Nikko Futarasan-jinja Shrine


Futarasan-jinja Shrine is dedicated to the three sacred mountains around the shrine: Mt. Nantai-san (or also called Futara-san), Mt. Nyoho-san, and Mt. Taro-san.
The shrine was founded by a priest Shodo Jonin 1,200 years ago and the shrine's current Hondo main hall was constructed by the 2nd Tokugawa Shogun Hidetada, which is the oldest building in Nikko.

The stunning vermilion-lacquered Shinkyo Bridge(Sacred Bridge) is a part of the shrine and retains its long association with mysterious legends.
It is said that red and blue snakes appeared when Shodo Jonin visited here and the snakes turned into the bridge so that he can cross the Daiya-gawa River.

Opening Hours

  • 8:00 - 17:00 (April - October)
  • 8:00 - 16:00 (November - March)


  • No closing days

Access / Public Transport

  • 7 minutes from JR Nikko Station by the bus bound for Chuzenji Onsen or Yumoto Onsen. Get off at Nishi-Sando Bus stop, then walk 7 minutes.

Address / Location

* Please click each address to show the location.
Nikko Toshogu Shrine
Toshogu is one of numerous shrines that enshrine Tokugawa Ieyasu, first Shogun of the Edo Shogunate. It was completed in its present splendor ...  more »
Rinno-ji Temple
Rinno-ji Temple is located at Omotesando (the main approach to the shrine) on the way from Shinkyo Bridge. Rinno-ji, along with Enryaku-ji Te ...  more »
Nikko Suginamiki Road (Cedar-lined avenue)
13,000 of giant Japanese cedars line both sides of the road over its entire 37 kilometers length. These cedars were donated to Toshogu Shrine ...  more »
Ashio-Dozan Copper Mine
Ashio-Dozan Copper Mine was opened by the Tokugawa Shogunate during the Edo Period (1603 - 1868). The mine and its surroundings were once pro ...  more »
Furukawa Kakemizu Club
Furukawa Kakemizu Club is the western-style reception hall built in 1899 by the Furukawa Company, manager of the Ashio-Dozan mine, for the pu ...  more »
Sengaku-ji Temple
Sengaku-ji Temple is a Soto School Buddhist temple built by Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1612. The temple is known for the burial ground of Ako-Gishi,  ...  more »
Arisugawa-no-miya Memorial Park
Arisugawa-no-miya Memorial Park is a 67,000 square meters park, which is one of the largest in Tokyo. This area used to belong to the Arisuga ...  more »


No Tweets found.