Otaru Aquarium is the largest aquarium in Hokkaido.
It exhibits 5,000 fishes and animals of 250 species mainly from the sea, lakes and rivers in northern part of Japan.
The aquarium has popular attractions, such as unique water tanks for Asian short-clawed otters, dolphin shows at Dolphin Stadium, and performances by penguins, sea lions and walruses.
There is also a small amusement park right next to the aquarium.
- 9:00 - 17:00 (March - mid-October) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 9:00 - 16:00 (mid-October - November) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- 10:00 - 16:00 (December - February) *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- Amuseument park: 9:30 - 17:00
- December 1 - 9
- December 29 - January 1
- Amuseument park: mid-October - mid-April
Access / Public Transport
- 25 minutes from JR Otaru Station by the bus bound for Otaru Suizokukan (#10 or #11 bus). Get off at the last stop.