Oyaku-en Garden was originally the site of the Aizu clan’s mansion.
The name "Oyaku-en (medical herb garden)" came from the fact that the second lord of Aizu, Hoshina Masatsune, planted medical herbs here in the Edo Period (1603 - 1868).
There are still 400 kinds of medical herbs grown in the garden.
Oyaku-en Garden contains lovely ponds, rustic tea arbors, and a medicinal herb garden.
At Choyokaku, a building where Princess Chichibu stayed, you can taste the black tea and desserts that she loved.
- 8:30–17:00 *admission until 30 minutes before closing
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 30 minutes from JR Aizu-Wakamatsu Station by Haikara-san Bus. Get off at Oyakuen Bus stop.
Address / Location
- Birgitte Johnsen @IamBirgitte - 2019-10-24
- Galleries On The Go @SaraMullins9 - 2015-09-25
- ATIC (Aizu) @ATICinAizu - 2015-02-04