Known since the Edo era (1603 – 1868) as "Negishi-no-Omatsu", or the big pine tree of Negishi, this famous pine tree in Saizo-in Fudo-do has been featured in the Edo Meisho Zue (a series of popular guide books published in the Edo era) as well as in Utagawa Hiroshige's Nishiki-e woodblock prints.
The pine tree was also appeared in Higuchi Ichiyo's novel and Masaoka Shiki's Haiku.
The present pine is a third-generation tree planted in 1976.
- Open 24 hours
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 10 minutes walk from JR Uguisudani Station
- 10 minutes walk from Iriya Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line (H18)