1,300 years ago, Shugendo (Mountain Buddhism) started at Mt. Mitoku, and Sanbutsu-ji Temple was founded by Buddhist devotees in 706.
Its Nageire-do Hall, built into the face of a treacherous 520 meters high cliff near the mountain’s summit, is regarded as sacred ground to members of Shugendo.
Wrapped in mystery, how it was constructed even to this day is not fully understood.
From the Main Hall at the base of Mt. Mitoku to Nageire-do Hall, it takes about 50 minutes.
- 8:00 - 17:00 *admission for Nageire-do Hall is until 15:00
- No closing days
Access / Public Transport
- 38 minutes from JR Kurayoshi Station by the bus bound for Mitokusan. Get off at Mitokusan Sando-iriguchi Bus stop.
Address / Location
- 神崎修生＠福岡県糟屋郡宇美町 信行寺 @shingyoji1610 - 2020-11-06
- YUTA_ LOG🐶Yuta(Japanese🇯🇵) @log_yuta - 2020-08-11
- Iro Megane @ironomegane - 2020-07-04
- finder @diversityfinder - 2020-01-12
- ShimadenGO❦(｀・ω・´＊) @SHIMADEN - 2016-10-22
- ShimadenGO🍛(｀・ω・´＊) @SHIMADEN - 2016-10-22
- ShimadenGO🎃(｀・ω・´＊) @SHIMADEN - 2016-10-22
- Lucy @Lucy1205 - 2016-07-06
- Omoroi JAPAN @OmoroiJAPAN - 2016-02-08
- Spoon & Tamago @Johnny_Strategy - 2015-12-08
- From Japan With Love @futoshijapanese - 2015-04-20
- Vintage From Japan @Vintage_Japan - 2015-04-20