In the 13th century, around the time Holy Priest Nichiren was born, countless schools of sea breams, which are deep water fish, were spotted off the shore of Tai-no-Ura.
There were so many fish that the villagers were left astounded.
This phenomenon is known as one of the "three prophecies" that occurred at Holy Priest Nichiren's birth.
The sea breams of Tai-no-Ura are thought to be sacred and continue to be carefully protected by the local residents to this day.
You can catch close up views of the sea breams by taking a ride on the pleasure boats cruising around Tai-no-Ura.
It takes about 30 minutes to cruise around this designated natural heritage area.
- 8:30 - 15:50 (April - September)
- 8:30 - 15:20 (March, October)
- 8:30 - 14:50 (November - February)
- In bad weather
Access / Public Transport
- 3 minutes from JR Awa-Kominato by the bus bound for Namegawa Island / Okitsu-eki. Get off at Tanjoji-mae Bus stop.
- 20 minutes walk from JR Awa-Kominato
Address / Location
- Excursions Japan @ExcursionsJapan - 2019-01-21
- Zach Krause @ZKrause90 - 2015-12-18