Takamatsu Castle Ruins (Tamamo Park)

Travel Guide - Takamatsu Castle Ruins (Tamamo Park)

Information

There is very little left of Takamatsu Castle, which is located close to JR Takamatsu Station.
The castle grounds, which now form the pleasant Tamamo Park, are only one-ninth their original size.

The castle was originally constructed by Ikoma Chikamasa in 1588.
Then the Ikoma clan was moved to Dewa (today's Akita) by the Tokugawa Shogunate because of their family disputes, and Matsudaira clan (relatives of the Tokugawa family) took over the castle in 1642.
The structures seen today were built by Matsudaira Yorishige in the early Edo Period (1603 - 1868).

The castle was directly faced to the sea until the outer moats were reclaimed during the Meiji Preiod (1868 - 1912).
The moats on three sides were filled with sea water while the sea itself formed the fourth side of the castle.
The inner moats left today are still connected to the sea and visitors can feed red sea breams swimming there.
A couple of turrets still exist here are designated as important cultural properties.
There is also a museum which displays historical items associated with the Matsudaira clan.

Opening Hours

  • 7:00 - 18:00 (April - September)
  • 8:30 - 17:00 (October - March)

Closed

  • December 29 - 31

Access / Public Transport

  • 3 minutes walk from JR Takamatsu Station
  • Short walk from Takamatsu-Chikko Station on the Kotoden Kotohira Line

Address / Location

* Please click each address to show the location.

Tweets

No tweets found.

Recommended Places

Ritsurin-koen Garden
Although not listed as one of Japan's big three gardens (Kenroku-en in Kanazawa, Koraku-en in Okayama, and Kairaku-en in Mito), Ritsurin-koen ...  more »
Shibamata Taishakuten Temple
Shibamata Taishakuten was established in 1629. The temple appears in many Japanese literature works and movies, such as "Higan-sugi-made (Un ...  more »
Kyu-Furukawa-teien Gardens
The property was originally the residence of a foreign minister in the Meiji Period (1868 - 1912), Munemitsu Mutsu. Then it owned by the Fur ...  more »
Peace Memorial Park
The park, which covers approximately 122,100 square meters, was completed after the World War II, and in February 2007 it was the first postw ...  more »
Koetsu-ji Temple
Koetsu-ji Temple and its garden were originally the residence of Hon-ami Koetsu, a noted artist in the 17th century. The place was given to h ...  more »
Tofuku-ji Temple
Tofuku-ji Temple was founded in 1236 by the priest Enni. The temple now belongs to the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism. Since Tofuku-ji Templ ...  more »
Hikone Castle
Hikone Castle was built in 1622 by Ii Naokatsu (Naotsugu) as the main castle for the Ii family who ruled as Daimyo domain lord over Hikone. I ...  more »